Let’s take a look at some departments and agencies shall we…
• Department of Agriculture - Not needed. This essentially is a body of regulators and cronies that ruin our food prices and deliver food stamps and other nonsense.
• Department of Commerce - This can be disbanded and left only to serve as a group of volunteers to run the Census when needed. The Patent and Trademark Office can remain but should be run on a shoestring budget by a handful of underpaid bureaucrats.
• Department of Defense - This can also remain but needs to be severely trimmed down especially in the countless agencies under each branch of the military…such as the NSA. I’m sure whatever DARPA is doing these days is far inferior to those contractors in the private sector anyway.
• Department of Education - Completely worthless. Needs to be shutdown.
• Department of Energy - Also no longer needed. The private sector is more responsible with our energy needs. Also, why is the DOE working on genomics? What the hell does that have to do with energy?
• Department of Health & Human Services - Our most expensive agency. Of course it has to go, but that would mean we would have to get rid of Medicaid, Medicare and Obamacare.
I’ll tell you what, you can leave up the CDC, also run on a shoestring budget by a handful of bureaucrats.
• Department of Homeland Security - We already have a Department of Defense. This is just duplicated bureaucracy. It needs to go. Every inch of it.
• Department of Housing and Urban Development - Hmmm…
• Department of the Interior - This can also be scaled back but I don’t mind many of these services so long as they are kept small and bend over backwards to citizens when using land and resources.
• Department of Justice - I suppose this is rather important but can always use some trimming. Do we really need a DEA? And if we do, do we really need a National Drug Intelligence Center and an Office of Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Forces too? It appears to be more redundancy to me.
• Department of Labor - Another department that can be run by a handful of bureaucrats in a broom closet somewhere.
• Department of State - Limit this to the Secretary of State and the few office staff he/she needs. That is all.
• Department of Transportation - Eliminate 70% of the useless administrations that are part of this department.
• Department of Treasury - Alexander Hamilton pretty much did this entire job himself when this was developed. I’m sure we can scale this back 95%.
• Department of Veteran Affairs - I think we’ve all seen how well this department hasn’t been running. So, we should let the Department of Defense envelope this entirely. Maybe if the DOD has to worry about budgeting for our veterans, they’ll think twice about squandering resources on expensive toys that rot away in a desert somewhere as well as think twice before sending troops off to active combat.
• Other random independent agencies and organizations:
Election Assistance Commission
Federal Election Commission
Administrative Conference of the United States
National Archives and Records Administration
Office of the Federal Register
Merit Systems Protection Board
Office of Government Ethics
Office of Personnel Management
Federal Executive Institute
Combined Federal Campaign
Office of Special Counsel
Federal Trade Commission
Consumer Product Safety Commission
Federal Communications Commission
Federal Housing Finance Agency
Federal Housing Finance Board
Tennessee Valley Authority
U.S. Trade and Development Agency
United States International Trade Commission
Corporation for Public Broadcasting
Helen Keller National Center
Institute of Museum and Library Services
International Broadcasting Bureau
National Constitution Center
National Endowment for the Arts
National Endowment for the Humanities
National Aeronautics and Space Administration
National Science Foundation
United States Antarctic Program
United States Arctic Program
Nuclear Regulatory Commission
Office of the Federal Coordinator, Alaska Natural Gas Transportation Projects
African Development Foundation
Export-Import Bank of the United States
Overseas Private Investment Corporation
United States Agency for International Development
Advisory Council on Historic Preservation
Environmental Protection Agency
Federal Labor Relations Authority
Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service
Federal Mine Safety and Health Review Commission
National Labor Relations Board
National Mediation Board
Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission
Office of Compliance
Commodity Futures Trading Commission
Farm Credit Administration
Federal Reserve System
United States Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
National Credit Union Administration
Central Liquidity Facility
Securities and Exchange Commission
Securities Investor Protection Corporation
Small Business Administration
Military Postal Service Agency
Postal Regulatory Commission
United States Postal Service
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board
Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation
Railroad Retirement Board
Social Security Administration
Court Services and Offender Supervision Agency
General Services Administration
National Capital Planning Commission
Amtrak (National Railroad Passenger Corporation)
Federal Maritime Commission
National Transportation Safety Board
Corporation for National and Community Service
Central Intelligence Agency
Defense Nuclear Facilities Safety Board
Office of the National Counterintelligence Executive
Office of the Director of National Intelligence
Intelligence Advanced Research Projects Activity
Selective Service System
Commission on Civil Rights
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
National Council on Disability
Farm Credit System Insurance Corporation
Federal Agricultural Mortgage Corporation (Farmer Mac)
Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (Freddie Mac)
Federal National Mortgage Association (Fannie Mae)
Federal Home Loan Banks
Farm Credit System
The majority of these can be tossed out and the rest can be enveloped within other departments.
We’ve already seen that very little actually happens during a government shutdown. Do this and I promise our astronomical debt will disappear.